Tuesday, 21 October 2008

Wedding pro etiquette

You'd never guess I'm twiddling my thumbs with little to do other than wait for my sub to finish laying out the last three pages of the newspaper for proof reading!

Difficult situation presented itself at the wedding on Friday. Couple were married at small room at the back of the Left Bank bar (sure Toby probably knows it) and then posed in what is the carpark behind the building, leaning against a small wall which backed onto the river.

Background for photos was the other side of the river, which in my amatuer opinion wasn't the most picturesque (primarily some flats), but photog didn't have a huge choice of backdrops. However, what I did notice is that right behind the couple's heads (from the angle the photog was taking shots from) was a largish, bright yellow, for sale sign on one of the flats.

Worst thing in the world is some know-it-all sidling up and telling someone how to do their job. However, I know just how easy it is, from painful experience, to miss small details in the chaos of something like a wedding.

I was torn: what was worse, me looking like a patronising idiot but at least checking he'd noticed, or saying nothing, assuming he was either aware and dealing with it with shallow DOF, or not aware, but capable of solving the problem in PP (or even not capable and spoiling the couple's photos)?

What would you have done?

4 comments:

Toby said...

I'd say nothing. Mainly 'cos I'd be afraid of looking ignorant when he replied "But I'm using a ming-mong lens set to ziggety-zog and a flibble-flobble flash so it won't be a problem".

Have just bought the second magazine I've seen with a D90 review.

If I stopped buying magazines and saved the money I could probably afford it in about 5 years.

Tom said...

That was my first thought. Then I thought, but what if he doesn't have a ming-mong lens and hasn't noticed, or in fact, what if he's just a chancer like me who didn't run fast enough in the other direction when Em and Des said "you've got a decent camera" (in fact he was a friend (who'd been at school with Alice and Anna), but a professional photographer friend).


In the end, I decided I'd never forgive myself if all it would have taken to save some photos was me risking some slight embarrassment - so sidled up.

Rehearsal in my head was something along the lines of: "Hope you don't mind, and there's no reason to think you don't know exactly what you're doing when it comes to photography and I'm sure you're thinking I'm an idiot, but I noticed that sign in the background. I'm sounding like a moron now, so I'll bugger off."

However, with me balancing a small child on one arm, trying to keep a camera bag on the other and discretely whisper this to him, so not to erode his standing with the couple, I suspect he probably heard:

"You...don't know...what you're doing...you're an idiot...sign, moron...bugger off."

Anyway, he seemed confident he had it covered - although he did then move where he was posing them, but not sure if that was because he was going to anyway.

Kev said...

Sadly, I've been that other wedding photographer.

But you've guessed that already I suppose.

Not sure how much techno babble would have put me off ( might have made me more determined and persistent :)

I do really think this is a very good photo. I think it captures the essence of the evening. Great shot.

Kev said...
This comment has been removed by the author.