
More messing around with the camera in the dark - wedding fireworks. Pro snapper did something very clever where he managed to get a shot of the couple, with fireworks in background, I'd guess he did something similar to what I tried with the dancing, long dragged shutter and flash to expose Mr and Mrs sharply in the foreground. Meanwhile, I was messing around with my tripod and ridiculously cheap but very functional wireless remote gadget, just arrived from Hong Kong. Went for 10 sec exposures, left the camera on the tripod out of everyone's way and returned to the crowd to enjoy and just randomly press the remote release every now and again. If I'd been paying attention and reviewing every shot, I probably would have tried a shorter exposure for a "cleaner" trail, but pretty pleased with result (especially considering I generally only get one chance a year to experiment!).
Again, just converted RAW to JPG and not got around to doing any PP or cropping with this yet.
13 comments:
What is this cheap wireless remote you have? And how does it differ from the Nikon remote?
(Sorry Kev for Nikon talk.) Glad to report that I didn't have to get a new remote for the D90 - the one that works the D50 is fine. Didn't you hve to get one with the D300?
Disadvantage (or possibly advantage) with the D300 is it uses the "pro" accessories and therefore doesn't work with the old D70 remote. Instead it has a tin-pin input for plugging in either a corded or remote shutter. The tin-pin gives additional control to a remote which the D50/70/80/90 doesn't have...for example allowing you to do things like bulb, continuous shutter etc. However, because it's "pro" Nikon charges "pro" prices, the Nikon branded remote is more than £100. A bit of research on the net and found this http://www.dpnotes.com/phottix-cleon-n8/ which does more than the Nikon (you can use the plugged in bit as a cable shutter activator for example) for a whole £20 delivered from eBay.
Noticed they also do a battery grip for various Nikons which come in about a quarter of the price and have the same features (or again, more, in some cases)
Hmmm. Thought as much. There does seem to be a way to do this with the D70/80/90 series: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=370108111870. Seems very reasonable, but don't know how much I'd use it; We had fireworks on Saturday but I was lighting them so didn't get chance to photograph any.
I can also recommend the 7-day shop Nikon compatible batteries. £17 and seems to last as long as my Nikon branded one.
Yep - more or less identical to that (in fact looking at the web link I sent, identical to the other model he's comparing with). Annoys me that the D300 isn't also compatible with the simple remote, but for not much more than the Nikon IR remote, you do get a lot more features. Big advantage for me is I don't have to worry about line of site to the IR senor, like I used to on the D70. With one of these, you could have been firing the previous set up camera *while* you were lighting fireworks!
Line of sight even. Monday morning.
And "previously`" possibly. I'll probably just give up while I'm behind.
Just had a quick trawl of the Nikon site and it doesn't appear Nikon does a wireless shutter release like these for the D80. You'd be limited to a traditional cable release system (although you might be able to combine it with some other bit of expensive kit to turn it into a wireless release)
So this is an even better product than it first seems.
It does look good. And - according to the review - it seems to stop the problem of selecting wireless shutter, leaving it a few minutes, the camera "forgets" and you have to re-set the shutter operation again.
Might have to get one.
Yep - that's certainly a big advantage of the remote I have now. Used to annoy the hell out of me on the D70 and certainly couldn't have shot the fireworks the way I did at the wedding with the old remote...didn't have line of sight and wanted to mingle with everyone else and enjoy them rather than keep running back to the camera to wake it up!
I would get one (or more likely ask Santa to get one) but I have just read that the new MC-DC2 cable release for the D90 is not the same as the MC-DC1 for the D70/D80. The cable release hole is a different size/shape (Look at the photo partway down on this page). Might have to enquire further.
Well spotted. It won't be long before the third party manufacturers like Phottix catch up with the new model, but looking at the forums:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1034&message=29882276
...appears people are bodging their own remotes at the moment (the mad and the rich who can afford to cut the plug of the Nikon cable remote and splice it onto a wireless intended for other models!)
There is no way I am attempting anything like that! However, the fact that is can be done, means a 3rd party could easily modify their product - or provide an adapter.
I have also notified one of the Ebay sellers and they will be correcting their listing.
Does scare the hell out of me how reckless (or rich enough to replace) people are with expensive equipment. The number of people on DPR who have removed the IR filter on their cameras to make them dedicated IR cams is bizarre...or people doing their own weird mods to viewing screens or plugging in jury rigged bits and bobs, not knowing whether currents etc are compatible.
I'm a bit nervous of even using third party hardware like remotes and things, never mind opening up the case.
Post a Comment