Monday, 20 October 2008


Very old pic (taken with the nasty HP digital I found in a gutter in Edinburgh!) - just posting to see if I can work out the answer to Toby's question below about the size comparison between posting here and the Flickr original (couldn't remember which size I'd posted the first one from).

This is the "large" Flickr size link, 1024 pixels along the long side. Looks like Blogger reduces the size, even if you select the large option while posting.

If you upload pics from computer, is there a limited capacity of how many images the blog can host? Can't imagine we'll be able to stash that many large pics.

This certainly seems like the easiest option in terms of logging in and posting (as long as you've got photos hosted elsewhere), although I'm not convinced the blog format is the most ideal for ongoing discussions. We'll just end up with one long thread punctuated by photos, while I'd have thought something with a more forum-like structure is going to make life easier and keep different discussions separate.

I think facebook is a non-starter, as it is too limited for picture posting. However, while flickr also has its limitations, it would probably get my vote ahead of the blog format for discussion purposes.

Anyone know anything about setting up simple forums?

Cheers - Tom

8 comments:

Tom said...

Although, if you click through, it does reproduce it at original size.

Another (possible) benefit of Flickr, while I'm banging its drum, is the photos come with some EXIF data attached (if anyone interested in that at all)

Toby said...

Yes - I think you're right. Clicking on the image does bring up the original.

As for EXIF data, if you save the blogger image to HDD, you get some. EG, Kevin's was a Canon 40D, 24mm, F11, 1/2000sec, etc. But your HP image tells me nothing.

I have to say that I don't like Flickr much - I've only just joined so maybe that's it. Can you get a feed from Flickr?

As for forums, not sure exactly what you mean. How would it differ from what we are doing now?

Tom said...

Re EXIF - bit of a hassle to have to save everything down to HD if you want the info, and especially if not everything shows up.

For instance, just posted same photo up on the Flickr version of Misanthropics and if you click through, you can access the details bottom right.

Not that this is a deal breaker - just added usability which might be helpful.

Not sure about feed from Flickr, it seems to suggest you can get RSS feeds off discussions and groups, but for the life of me I can't see how! Why is this important? (and I mean important for ordinary people, not techies obsessed with everything being "open" and accessible by some other bit of software!)

Flick is okay - but I don't see anything particularly offensive about it, other than it's owned by Yahoo. Pretty easy to use interface and it's free.

Re forums - say for example you and Kev are having a conversation about the photos he took last time you got together; all three of us are discussing depth of field; and two other people we've invited to be members are talking about how sad Tom, Kev and Toby are. In the blog format, those conversations either run as part of a commentary thread under one posting (and users have to scroll down the blog each time to find the conversation they are involved in); or each respondant adds a new posting, which then gets mixed up in all the other responses.

A threaded forum just seems easier and neater to use, in my opinion, as there will always be a list of discussions ongoing available, with the most recently updated at the top.

All said, not spectacularly bothered either way - just looking for path of least resistance.

Kev said...

I previously ran a forum for than 2 years -- day in day out. I don't want the hassle ever again. Having a "copyright takedown notice" slapped on me was more stress than I could deal with at the time (when I wasn't working and I closed the forum. It was a health related forum and it was a completely unrewarding task. Don't get me started on it :)

I am not keen on Flickr at all. I just annoys me with its interface. I prefer pbase (for $20 per year) or uploading directly from my hdd.

Not seeing any issues with EXIF from my end.

I click "Email follow-up comments to x@y.com" so I am kept up to date on posts I've posted on...

Tom said...

I'm not suggesting a full-on forum, just wondering if a forum-style mechanic suits what we're trying to do - discuss photography. I can see the blog format getting unweildly, even with just three people contributing.

Flickr seems to offer the functionality without the hassle for anyone to manage it. Perhaps one of you two can experiment with whether it is possible to post a non-Flickr image to a Flickr group, so then people wouldn't have to mess about with uploading pics there at all...just be a member.

And Blogger still requires people to host pics elsewhere (I don't think uploading direct from HD can be sustainable, I imagine there is a pretty low upload limit for Blogger?)

Cheers - Tom

Toby said...

Some more thoughts:

I like RSS 'cos I can see that there's a new blog post (as I did with youurs this morning, Tom) without checking the website.

I can also set the email follow-ups for posts I am interested in.

Exif - I'm guessing that if it's relevant to the picture the poster would put it in the article.

Forums - I bow to Kevin's experience. There are some sites (e.g. www.yuku.com) that'll let you create one.

Files on Blogger are subject to a limit (something to do with a Picasa account).

I am happy to stick my photos on my ISP space and link to it.

Toby

Tom said...

Okay, I can't seem to work out how to post a pic from Pbase to either the Flickr group or this blog, so perhaps someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong!

I'm going to have one last try at posting images from outside Flickr to the group and reinvestigate the RSS feed options.

Aware that without either of these, Flickr group definitely not a goer for each of you.

Toby, do you want to have a go at posting an image from your own hosted location to Flickr, just as an experiment?

I'm still keen on a more discussion forum formated group - but appreciate I'm in the minority!

Cheers - Tom

Toby said...

Toby, do you want to have a go at posting an image from your own hosted location to Flickr, just as an experiment?

Will give it a go form home.