First shot: lovely colours and I was thinking about doing something very similar, but haven't managed to find a suitable autumnal tree yet! I constantly struggle to balance shallow depth of field effects with getting enough the foreground sharp and like you, I wonder if a slightly deeper DOF here might have made this picture even better.
Second shot: again, great idea, which isn't dissimiliar to something which may, or may not, make my final few! Being picky, I wonder if the grass is a little bit busy (especially with the bright points of bokeh - are they OOF water drops?). Easy to notice with hindsight, but the blade of grass on top of the leaf distracts me slightly...I wouldn't have noticed until too late either! Unsure on the crop as well, perhaps a much tighter square crop would focus attention on the leaf, but part of the reason it works for me is the contrast between the background, it's relative "ordinariness" and the sudden burst of colour. Too tight a crop and you might lose this.
General point - not sure which size you uploaded these, but when I look at the full size it is slightly too big to see the full image in my screen and I'm viewing on a pretty large Mac cinema display. Perhaps we need to play around with optimum sizes.
Tom's comments are exactly where I had got to. I used f/4 in the first shot but I guess f/8 would be better at that focal length. If I am still off work tomorrow I might have another go, given that I can't drive anywhere with my dizzy head.
I uploaded full sized images from my PC - no idea wha blogger did with them though.
Annoyingly, it might be we have to slightly resize the originals. While Blogger seems to scale them according to what you select on the blog post dialogue screen, the original you link to when you click on the image relates to the original pic dimensions, I assume.
Wife opinion update - Alice rates Kev's first as one of the best (with the usual proviso "other than yours", which as we all know actually means "Kevs is the best")
6 comments:
First shot: lovely colours and I was thinking about doing something very similar, but haven't managed to find a suitable autumnal tree yet! I constantly struggle to balance shallow depth of field effects with getting enough the foreground sharp and like you, I wonder if a slightly deeper DOF here might have made this picture even better.
Second shot: again, great idea, which isn't dissimiliar to something which may, or may not, make my final few! Being picky, I wonder if the grass is a little bit busy (especially with the bright points of bokeh - are they OOF water drops?). Easy to notice with hindsight, but the blade of grass on top of the leaf distracts me slightly...I wouldn't have noticed until too late either! Unsure on the crop as well, perhaps a much tighter square crop would focus attention on the leaf, but part of the reason it works for me is the contrast between the background, it's relative "ordinariness" and the sudden burst of colour. Too tight a crop and you might lose this.
General point - not sure which size you uploaded these, but when I look at the full size it is slightly too big to see the full image in my screen and I'm viewing on a pretty large Mac cinema display. Perhaps we need to play around with optimum sizes.
Tom's comments are exactly where I had got to. I used f/4 in the first shot but I guess f/8 would be better at that focal length. If I am still off work tomorrow I might have another go, given that I can't drive anywhere with my dizzy head.
I uploaded full sized images from my PC - no idea wha blogger did with them though.
Annoyingly, it might be we have to slightly resize the originals. While Blogger seems to scale them according to what you select on the blog post dialogue screen, the original you link to when you click on the image relates to the original pic dimensions, I assume.
Have to echo most of Tom's comments here.
#1. Was looking for a leaf such as this myself - but haven't found one with such good colour or in such good nick. Like the DoF.
#2. Again, agreeing with Tom. The impact is red against green - it is hard to know how much to crop without losing that.
Finally, Imogen has decided that she can take photos of leaves and wants to join in! I'll post a couple of hers if she gets around to it.
Just discovered a clever thingy on Opera which allows me to zoom in and out, so by playing with slider can fit pics perfectly to window. Sweet.
Wife opinion update - Alice rates Kev's first as one of the best (with the usual proviso "other than yours", which as we all know actually means "Kevs is the best")
Post a Comment