Sunday, 25 October 2009

Another impromptu personal challenge...


Sadly didn't see a single item of transport while walking with Sammy today, so kept myself interested with a widest angle possible only allowed challenge (in this case 16mm).

As before, no cropping or PP'ing (other than whatever PS bridge does when I save it as a jpg...think it applied some mild sharpening)

Found this a lot harder than the 50mm walk the other day.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=335852&id=850030623&l=e340f13f6e

2 comments:

Kev said...

Just doing the maths - thats 24mm in real money right?

That's the short end of my standard zoom and I'm very happy using it that short, as I no longer have an ultra wide (it was a "digital mount" so not compatible with 5D2)

I scanned the pics on FB and the one you posted here was the one I picked out. I quite like it.

Though you do set yourself some unnecessary problems when you are out with a camera.

Tom said...

Yep - D300 has a 1.5 crop factor, so 24mm "proper" angle.

Just been finding recently that taking the camera out and thinking 'I'll take some photos' tends to result in an empty memory card. By forcing myself into contrived personal challenges, it's really helped motivate me and forced me to look at things differently - and really try to find images.

I think my default style is more about close-up detail, so forcing myself to stick to wide angle certainly made me look at scenes in a very different way (although I think my favourites of that batch are still they ones where I've managed to force a close up anyway!). And by sticking to the rules I found I was having to work much harder on technique and composition, which means it's much more rewarding (for me anyway) when I get some good shots out of it.

Generally, it's just a nice excuse to get out into the locality, enjoy a long weekend walk with the Samster, and actually enjoy the hobby - rather than try and squeeze some photo taking into the usual rush!