Friday, 23 October 2009

Distorted thinking



Nothing to do with the current challenge - still "pre-visualising" on that one (i.e. very little idea of what to do and hoping something will occur soon!)

To fill the time, here is a photo I took while on holiday in Scotland this August. Thought it might be good for stock, but then wondered about the perspective problems caused by the wide angle - so had a play in Photoshop with the distortion correct filter and ended up with the second picture.

Interested in your views - was it a successful exercise? Is it worth going to the bother? Does the uncorrected image look too distorted to you? Does the new version look better?

2 comments:

Toby said...

I definitely prefer the altered picture - although I suspect this is just a matter of taste.

One of the reasons I never like the photos I take of buildings is that I usually end up with some distortion.

I've "corrected" such problems in the past using the Transform / Perspective tool - with varying results.

Kev said...

I'm quite sensitive to distortion in the vertical plane but I do spend a reasonable amount of time photographing buildings, so perhaps I am more sensitive to it that others.

Yes, the corrected photo is technically correct and I think I prefer it. But I do like the almost-fisheye effect on the original