Friday, 23 October 2009

Fantasy and reality camera buying

Two questions for you chaps:

You win a pretty hefty lottery prize - not the jackpot, but enough to allow you to spend some serious cash on camera equipment without feeling too guilty, let's say no more than £20K...what do you buy?

On a more realistic note, once Alamy clears (and following my "what the camera earns, I get to spend on photography" rule) I'll have about £200 to spend. Beginning to lean towards getting a more compact bit of kit as it's getting less feasible to lug round the D300 at all times, although I do try.

What do you reckon? Try to scrape some extra together and get something a bit more expensive as a Christmas pressie to myself - I'm thinking G11 or GF1?

Or limit myself to the cash and see what something like a Fuji F70 or F200 is like as a true pocket cam?

And other thoughts on proper compacts? A compromise too far and am I going to get wound up by them?

4 comments:

Kev said...

I have the Olympus E-P1 and it's great. A bit noisy but a fantastic carry everywhere camera. Recommended.

My one fantasy buy would be the Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5 L tilt and shift lens. It's about £2k and therefore beyond my modest means... :(

Tom said...

Thaks Kev - is it much more portable than the 5D? I guess I'll have to get down the shop and handle some...my fear is spending a lot of money on something like a GF1 and then finding it's not that much easier to cart around!

Kev said...

I'll try to bring the E-P1 when we meet up in a week or so. You should remind me by email just in case.

It truely is a proper camera, let down only by limited aperture range and noise at and above ISO800. And no optical view finder (nor EVF) or flash.

But other than that it's perfect.

Tom said...

Cool - would be good to see and play with one. I think I'd be more likely to go for a GF1 than the E-P1 if I did find the cash - but they look very similar in size and design, so would be good to see just how small and pocketable it is.