Monday, 26 October 2009

Challenge 6 - Tom's first



Been thinking about something like this for a while, but as always, in practice what seems like a good idea...

Tripod not quite tall enough to get the camera over the bridge railings, so had to shoot through the bars, which limited angle and how wide I could shoot. Bugger to focus as well, as the road surface itself is too dark to ge a lock on and the cars are obviously travelling a bit to fast to get a reliable point on. In the end manual focussed on one of the white lines and then locked it.

Also had to cope with a) busy-body PCSOs interrogating me on what I was doing and b) gangs of chavs trying to interrogate me on what I was doing.

Experimented from 1 sec all the way up to 30 secs. 30 secs too long in that light and for traffic that speed - in my opinion. Light trails too dense and surroundings too lights.

Top my favourite (f8, ISO 200, 5 sec, 16-85@85mm), but below was a close run second (f8, ISO 200, 15 sec, 16-85@58mm). Too busy I think.






3 comments:

Toby said...

A very impressive start to the challenge, Mr Stainer! (I tried a few like this a year or so back and it is harder than you think.)

I disagree with your choice; I prefer the bottom one. You can see what it is more clearly and there are some nice lines in the composition. It is OK for it to be busy - it's a rush-hour picture after all!

(Now to slink off and think how I can possibly compete with this...)

Tom said...

Was a very close run thing, as I said. More I look at it, still think I prefer the first shot. Simpler and more abstract.

My reference to busy in the second was more about the overall composition. I find myself overly distracted by the line of lights in the top third; the bushes on the right of the picture; and the ghostly Ocado van.

Kev said...

I've been visualising these shots for 3-4 years but never got round to actually doing it.

I prefer the first shot, it's more complete because there's less going on, if you get my drift.

Very good effort. B'stard ;)