First example is a massively underexposed 1/60s, f8 at 1600ISO shot, with 100 per cent crop to show just how nasty it is and then, really just as a bit of fun, what slamming Photoshop's noise reduction filter through it at max settings does. Result: some really odd smearing and additional texture, but I'm surprised how much detail gets retained.



3 comments:
And to think, you were the one who called Kevin and me sad.
To be honest, although there's a lot of noise, it is perfectly acceptable for a 6x4 print. Did to try using a flash?
Have you thought about using a camera with fewer mega pixels?
Or film?
Or a monopod?
Or an image stabilised lens?
Flash would have overexposed the shiny copper in the foreground, and there was so much clutter on the ceiling I would have got some weird shadows.
Kev - this was with VR on, although I forgot I could have got away with a slower shutter speed. I've got another example in similar lighting showing how much better it is if you get the exposure right! Will upload when I'm back in the office.
Monopod might have helped - but if I had the money to splash on a monopod I'd probably have been able to afford a proper tripod which folds down small enough for my bag!
Post a Comment