Came across a fairly old (well Christmas) blog on DPR from one of their writers, remembering the golden days of digital camera development...a very edited extract below.
Reminded me of the first digital camera I ever saw/used - which was one of those which took a 3.5 floppy disk (might not have even been a proper "digital camera", not sure how the technology worked). The art department at school acquired one at huge cost in the early 1990s.
From DPR:
First digital camera writer used was a Casio QV10 with 77,000 pixels.
"The first cameras I reviewed were, looking back, almost uniformly poor (I apologize unreservedly to anyone who spent £1000 on a Ricoh RDC-2 after my glowing review of a 0.4 megapixel camera with a 20 minute battery life and an appalling removable LCD monitor).
"Few cameras had a zoom, many had no screen, most relied on internal memory and anything over 0.3 megpixels (VGA) was considered 'high resolution'. Even the simplest things we take for granted these days - user controllable ISO, AE compensation, scene modes and so on - were unheard of at the 'affordable' (sub $2500) end of the market. Heck, we didn't even have EXIF or USB back then."
Lowest price for 32MB CF card £520
Fuji's first consumer digi-cam - 0.3MP DS-7 at £600
Cheapest pro DSLR - Minolta 2.5MP RDC-3000 at £4,000
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
And you try telling that to the young people today - and they won't believe you! (Actually, teaching Digital Graphics next month, so maybe I will try telling them.)
I feel so old these days. Not helped by my new assistant who is 22 - I made some reference to the film War Games the other day and just got a blank look.
You should try teaching 17 year olds! Mind you: they all seem to be into bands like AC/DC and Whitesnake - I've told them that these are old fart's bands. "It's like punk never happened" he says, sadly, betraying his age.
I remember the Apple quicktime 100 digital camera. We had one at STL if you recall Tob. Remember Stewart and his Mac-adoring ways? Never thought he'd end up working for Microsoft, but there you go. Fan boys can be turned.
I do very vaguely remember the Apple camera. I think it was one of those things that was played with for two days then left to gather dust. I also remember someone having a very early Mac lap-top. It was so white it hurt you eyes, was only "portable" in the sense that a full suitcase is, had a tiny screen and almost no battery life. Oh, and a stupid track-ball thingy.
Stewart is well and truly turned. His Facebook page has "I'm a fan of Zune" and "I'm a fan of Silverlight" stuck on it. Beware, Tom, beware!
Post a Comment