Wednesday, 11 February 2009

Price hikes!

Thought it was my imagination at first - but just had a quick look at camerapricebuster.co.uk to confirm and photographic equipment prices are going up again.

Looks like we picked the right time to buy Toby - lowest prices last year and everything is shifting up again now. SB600 for example: best price currently is almost £180...I got mine for less than £150 at least two years ago now.

D300 with 18-70, not even VR, is now more expensive than what I paid for mine with the 16-85VR.

Assume it's thanks to the weak pound and Yen - plus recession woes.

Suspect I won't be investing in anything new for quite a while if prices continue to do this!

Cheers - Tom

9 comments:

Toby said...

Yes - I'd noticed that the D90 hadn't really fallen in price from what I paid for it in November.

My financial situation (mainly due to car maintenance) is such that any photographic equipment I obtain will be made from silver paper and stick-back plastic.

Tom said...

From what I can see, the D90 with the lens you got is actually £100 more than it was in November!

I think I've got to accept I've got less a car maintenance and more a car replacement issue to face soon.

Tom said...

Having said all that - my sub-editor has just persuaded his brother to sell him his 40D for £100! Bargain of the month, I think.

Toby said...

Is that Canon 40D or a Nikon D40? A bargain anyway, but especially if the former.

Tom said...

Canon 40D with a 18-55 (or similar zoom) kit lens. His brother is an early-adopter camera nerd and tends to buy any new model the minute it is released. He's already replaced his G9 with a G10 and got the 50D by the sounds of things, so Kim just picks up discarded toys cheaply!

Kev said...

Tom - you just managed to hold off mentioning my name there :)

I too had noticed the price rises and I managed to pick up my 50mm f/1.4 from a retailer who had not begun to put up prices, so I saved about £100 over those who had.

Tom said...

Believe me Kev, this guy makes you look like a slow coach when it comes to buying new kit and disposing of "old" stuff! I'm trying to work out if I can persuade him to start buying Nikon as well.

Toby said...

More on prices. I have to say that the D5000 was not something I was expecting. My initial reaction was: why would you buy one of these when you can get a D90 for about the same price? Then I saw the recent price hikes elsewhere on DP Review:

D5000 Body only: £ 719.99
18-55mm VR kit: £ 799.99

D90 Body only: £ 849.99
18-105mm VR kit: £ 1029.99

Admittedly, you'd find these cheaper in reality but I can feel justified in buying my camere when I did!

Tom said...

Camera Price buster seems to be showing best price for a D90 plus 18-105 is £743 while D5000 with 18-55 is £789. However D5000 isn't actually available yet, so that will be a pre-order price and it's bound to change once the camera is out.

Does seem like weird pricing strategy. Even if the D5000 articulated screen was well designed and actually useful, I think you're right that most people will see the D90 as the better camera and skip the D5000.

Like you, glad I bought when I did. Both D300 and lense I got now at nearly record highest price, even old SB-600 going for £200 at the moment, rather than the sub £150 we paid!