Saturday, 6 June 2009

Sunsets, revisited


Not much going on around here at the moment,  so here goes. You were both very nice about a photo I put on Facebook a while back. This one, I think.

As a number of others liked it, I'm thinking of getting it enlarged for the wall. So a couple of questions.

1. Have either of you tried larger than A4 prints (obviously done via Photobox or similar). Any do's and don'ts? What about canvas prints?

2. Secondly, is this the best shot I took at the time (I took loads).  I think it is, compositionally, at least, but few more can be found in this gallery.

What do you think? (I have included 2 similar ones - xxx95 and 97 - not because I think they might be the best, but because I liked the contrast between using flash and not using a flash in this situation.

Sorry that they all include people. I took a few without, but I found that they didn't do anything for me. My taste, I guess; I know some are of the opinion that figures shouldn't be included in these shots. 

3 comments:

Tom said...

Not sure who it is who thinks figures shouldn't be in these sorts of shots! For me the foreground figures make the pic - otherwise it's just one of a thousand sunset pics which I've seen!

I think you've chosen the best shot - certainly stands out for me. There are also some awesome ones with just the girls, but I like the split between the solitary Sarah and the girls playing together on the other side of the image on this one.

Printing wise, I've not done anything above A4 so no real advice. You'll probably have had the same experience as me with A4 prints that images which look sharp at 5x7 can look very soft bigger...so guess you've got to check focus on your selected image.

I suspect this will look stunning as a large canvas print - but it's quite expensive I guess. John was talking about getting some canvas prints done of some of this welsh shots to put up in the cottage, but don't know if he's done so yet.

Tom said...

Oh, and in my opinion, non flash versions far better. I'm a big fan of proper silhouettes...too much foreground detail loses the effect for me.

Kev said...

I too think this shot is improved by the addition of figures. Unlike Tom, I also like the final flash shot, which effectively separates the foreground from the background.

I don't have any experience of printing images >A4. I do think that you should get it professionally framed though when you do get it printed.