Thursday, 25 June 2009

Another Alamy sale!

Bizarrely same image - which still doesn't appear to have been removed as threatened, despite being National Trust.

Magazine in the Russian Federation apparently. Only $44 this time, so still no sign of that early retirement.

6 comments:

Toby said...

Beers are on you this weekend!

(Still can't be arsed to put any of my pictures on Alamy.)

Tom said...

Will have to be halves.

Tom said...

Stowe landscape gardens proving profitable. Another sale, much better and bigger sale this time though and different photo (B40AC3 on Alamy). About £120 after commission deducted. Being used on the front cover of a travel guide/supplement according to the sales description, up to one million print run (which makes the total paid seem pretty low!).

Tom said...

And guess that means pints next time I see you Toby!

Toby said...

The next time you see me will be tomorrow - and pints and wine have already been bought I think! However, I'll hold you to the time after that.

How many Alamy pictures do you have? Do you have a gallery we can look at? What sort of thing sells (I'm guessing landscapes with buildings)? I stumbled across PictureNation when looking for something for Sarah's school. They seem a cheap'n'cheerful alternative, aimed primarily at schools.

Tom said...

Think this link might work:

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photography/5B9C2E11-3CB2-4863-89AF-E0066348C260/Tom+Stainer.html

176 current "on sale", but last night I got round to keywording another 30-40 which had been sitting in the account after getting through QC last month which should be on sale shortly.

No idea what sells really - suspect I'd be doing far better if I did!

Reading through the forums, appears that general feeling is anything can potentially sell, as there is always the possibility someone, somewhere may need it.

I guess travel pics/nice location shots of popular attractions are likely to be popular with guidebooks etc - but then you're competing with lots of similar photos.

And you're also trying to second guess a picture editor's needs - one day they may want a blue sky pic, the next they may want a moody, stormy sky of the same place.

Guess what I am saying is it's mainly down to luck whether your pic matches a particular need.

However, I suspect on my last sale that the designer was looking for a cover shot which gave him space for text top and bottom. Again, luck that this was his particular need, which probably meant he rejected numerous better shots, but which didn't have the same space.

Guess if you have shots with space round the main element, along with tighter close-ups, you're slightly increasing your chances - so no harm in doing so if you remember.

It's rare I set out to take things I think are "stock" (exception is when a photog I knew advised getting lots of shop signs and frontages up there, especially at the start of a recession, as papers are often looking for images for "gone bust" stories...needless to say, not any interest or sales yet for the only images I've deliberately taken for Alamy!).

Occasionally I see something which appears to be pretty unsual, or unlikely to have been snapped by many people, so try to get a shot - but again, I've no idea if anyone will actually ever want a picture of a Mason's gold medal for example.

The majority of stuff I've got up there are just pics I took because I thought there was a nice pic to be had (or I've taken for work purposes). Once I've processed all my own stuff, I tend to go back through and upload anything and everything which I think stands a chance of passing QC, and doesn't look likely it would identify any family members if used!