Thursday, 5 March 2009

Paris


Just back from Paris for the rugby, dontcha know. I quite like this photo of Vanessa and a Parisian icon. Too late for the Portraits round, but I like it anyhow.

Got some other photos of the place including some of the Eiffel Tower and the Pompidou Centre that I think could be good with a little work.

Also two of the missus with some strapping Welsh rugby players the morning after the game.

http://pbase.com/kevinl/paris09




3 comments:

Toby said...

Are you sure you're not the only gay in the village?

Some nice pictures there. The portrait of Vanessa is good; the best of the people pictures. Just the right ammount of contrast between foreground and background.

I like the one of the Eiffel Tower with cloudy sky although a bit of cropping might help. The ones directly under the Tower seem to work better than those almost under it - but that's just personal preference.

Some of the close-ups silhouettes are also promising. This one of the Pompidou Centre also grabbed me because of the colours and lines.

As for Vanessa and strapping Welsh Rugby players I'l say nothing other than "consenting adults".

Tom said...

As I said to Toby this weekend, I was trying to find Hugh Laurie's message that he sent to Stephen Fry when he ran away to Europe a few years ago...roughly paraphrased it's "It's bad enough you've left your friends and family without warning and caused them great worry, but it's now reported you've been spotted wearing a beret. Please come home at once."

I'm a fan of the close ups under the tower - but I'm a bit of a sucker for when that sort of ironwork gets shown in an almost abstract way, just enjoying the curves, lines and interesting negative space. Particularly like the one with the shafts of sunlight coming through (1938 I think).

Think it's just my screen, but anyone else seeing something weird coming off the top of the tower in some of the wider shots?

Like Toby, think the Vanessa shots work best out of the people shots.

Did you play around at all to try and reduce that haze on some of them (I sometimes find a levels tweak can clear it up)..or did you not want to lose it?

Love the battered car (1966) - one of my favourites of the set. Creates so many questions and says so much at the same time!

I'm not a huge fan of the Pompidou Centre anyway - but the shots are nice considering my personal feelings about the subject!

Little statue man (1995?) is wonderful! Lovely composition and atmosphere, plus the tonality - it's not black and white but it looks black and white at first glance. Love the pigeons as well.

Kev said...

Thanks guys. Nice comments when I am having a bad day. And I like my beret.

Tom - the effect in the sky on the Eiffel Tour you refer to was actually there. It was a hazy day and the breeze was pushing the haze along and the top of the tower was tearing it exposing a deeper blue sky above.

I didn't play with any of the photos much as I did them in a hurry to show to the chaps we went with. I might have a go at removing some haze.

I like photographing buildings as you know so I did enjoy the Pompidou Centre. I know I have one or two that with a bit of work will be worthwhile.

The tiny car was something I spotted. There was another car behind but I tried to minimise that by moving my camera position. After lunch it was completely blocked in by a white van but I didn't photograph that.

I rushed the little statue man as we'd walked miles up and miles and were knackered. I feel there's a better photo in there waiting to come out as I'm not entirely happy with the composition.