Monday, 2 August 2010

New camera for Susan...

Camera buying hats on please. Susan's six year old Olly has done her spectacularly well, however she's starting to get frustrated with it and run into the particular problem of xD cards no longer being for sale.

(frankly I don't blame her for wanting to change, the LCD screen on the back in hilariously small!)

However, her requested specs look like she's going to struggle to find something:

Wants viewfinder
Would like articulated LCD screen, like on David's Nikon
Doesn't want anything bigger or heavier than the current camera
Lens to be about the same as the Olly - x10 optical
I imagine budget is not going to be above £200-£300, if that

Any ideas?

I'm hoping she might compromise on the viewfinder/articulated screen - which widens the choice massively.

Cheers - Tom

Edit: This is what she has now, I think.

Edit: Susan has said she'd be prepared to compromise on the size/weight if it meant she gets the eye-level viewfinder and vari-angle screen...although I don't think she's quite realised that could mean a camera the size of David's Nikon!

2 comments:

Tom said...

Since noticed that SevenDayShop do a gb xD card for £10, which solves one of her camera probs - she's been talking about getting a new one for some time though, so assume she's still keen on upgrading.

Tom said...

Quick research throws up a limited list of cameras with viewfinder and tiltable/vari-angle LCD. Let me know if you think I've missed something obvious. Sent list to Susan with extra info on the average prices, and lens specs compared to her Olympus. I've not taken size, or price, into account in compiling the list for her and not made any recommendations, other to point out which are DSLRs, which are 4/3, which might be discontinued/difficult to find, and that the G11 has a much smaller zoom than any of the others.


Panasonic dmc-fz50

Panasonic dsc-fz100

Panasonic dmc-G2

Panasonic dmc-gh1

Panasonic dmc-G1

Canon G11

Canon Sx10/Sx20 IS

Canon Sx1 IS

Canon S5 IS

Fuji Hs10

Fuji s100

Nikon P90

Nikon P100

Nikon d5000

Olympus e-620