Tuesday, 13 July 2010

Sometimes I wonder...

..why I bother with the cost and hassle of the DSLR.




(One image taken with the Nikon D300, plus Sigma zoom. The other with my Fuji F70 point-and-shoot. Both at "300mm" (although not strictly comparable due to sensor sizes). I'll leave you to work out which is which.)

Actually, I do know why I bother. The F70 image has had to be cropped heavily and then resampled, while the D300 image hasn't (although there is some cheating...it's actually a stacked composite of two images to get the wings and body in focus, while keeping the shallow depth of field for the background).

No control over depth of field on the compact - colour rendition also pretty hit and miss.

This was in bright, afternoon sun which allowed shooting at 200 ISO - anything above 400 ISO starts to lose masses of detail with the NR smearing on the F70.

Slooooow. Fuji one of fastest compacts I've used, but still enough shutter lag and blackout to mean anything moving is a hit and miss affair.

3 comments:

Toby said...

I'll stick my neck out and go for the top one being the D300. Not sure why - looks a little more like the ones my D90 would take. (When I pixel-peep it seems a little sharper too.)

Go on, I'm wrong aren't I?

Tom said...

Correct - top one is the D300. I think you're right on the sharpness as well.

Tom said...

Obviously Fuji image started as 10mp image which was then cropped in and resized in PS, while the D300 is more or less at original resolution, which makes a big difference to the sharpness and detail, I think.

Still, pretty pleased with performance for a camera I can put in a pocket and take anywhere.